It baffles me how different that we derby girls are treated. Going above and beyond to try and live their lives while saving the universe. There are some though that do not think that we are secret super heroes and actually despise what we do. The y treat us as though we are nothing and cast stones at things that are shiny and different. They make us feel like the life that we have chosen to live is ridiculous. Obviously, they do not have the fire and passion that we do for the sport. Yes, it takes a certain kind of girl to play roller derby. It very definitely is NOT for everyone.
Case in point, I recently had this same exact situation happen to me. I was made to feel inferior by my workplace and was subsequently "let go" for ridiculous reasons. I thought long and hard about whether I should write about this experience I have had. But I think that it is important to note the story. I will not go into dramatic details, but I will say that the entire time that I was working there, I was treated as though I didn't belong. I tried hard to fit in, greeting everyone and being friendly, but inevitably, I was given the cold shoulder, ignored for almost 7 out of the 8 hours I worked in a day, and made to feel that I was nothing but a body taking up a chair, rather than a human beings with feelings or thoughts. It got so bad that I actually started loathing going to work and developed major stress and anxiety because of it. Work was actually hurting me. To be let go was probably the best thing that could've happened to me. It has allowed me to be more free with my thoughts and actions and truly be myself- not a shaded, guarded, lonely, and weaker version of me. I now have the opportunity to throw myself into derby more and do all the things that I normally wouldn't be able to do because I normally am working.
I started reading this book called Thank You for Firing Me! by Kitty Martini & Candice Reed and I do believe it is so far changing how I am thinking about things. It is amazing that I now see how simple minded these people were that I was forced to be around for 40 hours a week. My horizons have spanned now because I realize now that they may have been jealous of my lifestyle or scared of it. We derby girls live carefree and do not think about the what if's or tomorrow's. We live fast and free for now... what ever tomorrow will bring, will bring. We think differently. I was so afraid to let my inner me shine there and hid my derby life as though it was a dirty secret.
I tell you now friends, do not let them do this to you. Speak up for yourself. Stand up for your rights and talk about derby as though you are trying to spread a virus. The more that the word gets out, the less other women will be treated as I was treated- not only in the workplace, but in everyday life. We work hard for our bodies and talents playing derby. We sacrifice our minds, bodies, time, money to be a part of this thing. We should have the right to be proud of what we do and be respected as athletes- because that is what we are. Yes, we may have tattoos and piercings and may be a little strange sometimes- but that doesn't make us aliens.
Derby is here to stay- as long as we keep rolling on. I dream of a time when everyone else in the work realizes this too.
No comments:
Post a Comment